Monday, November 2, 2009

Hocus Pocus



In the spirit of Halloween, it seems worthwhile to hearken back to a time when the holiday was less about wearing lingerie and animal ear-handbands and more about giving ourselves movie-induced nightmares. Sure, we're trading one vice for another, but that's really just splitting hairs. You know, to put in our bubbling cauldrons and to bring forth from which a magical potion.

While there was no shortage of horror movies in the 90s, we also got some family friendlier fare thrown in the mix. 1993's Hocus Pocus gave us a little bit of spookiness with a better measure of humor to soften the impact. So what if I still have an insatiable urge to hide under the bed whenever I hear Sarah Jessica Parker singing "Come Little Children?" It's still totally worth it.



See what I mean? That is seriously creepy. Also, is it just me or does is she showing an inordinate amount of cleavage for this being a children's movie? I wouldn't have noticed at the time, of course, being far too traumatized by that haunting song, but now it seems marginally suspect.

Hocus Pocus is the story of three witches, sisters who are seeking to circumvent the aging process by giving themselves eternal youth. As we all know, the only means of doing this is by sucking the life out of a living, breathing, vital child. Now that sounds like a movie I want to take my children to. Hey kids! Guess what? Remember that time you forgot to make your bed? Well, do it one more time, and three terrifying witches will swoop into your room unannounced, extract your lifebreath, and leave your useless corpse strewn across the bed. I don't know about you, but I'd be fluffing the pillows and resetting the duvet the instant I heard that one.

The three Sanderson sisters, Winnifred (Bette Midler), Mary (Kathy Najimy), and Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) find their unsuspecting juvenile victim in Emily Binx. Her brother Thackery (because, hey, this is the 1600s and people were partial to the name Thackery) tries to intervene but is forced to watch as they drain the last drop of life from his innocent sister. Again, there's a way to start a children's movie.

Resisting the allure of Thackery's youth, the Sanderson sisters opt instead to doom him to eternal life in the body of a black cat. Conveniently, they give him the gift of speech, which I can't imagine is relevant in any other way than setting up a plot line for the present day story. After I saw it here and then later in Sabrina the Teenage Witch I just pretty much assumed it was a common practice to turn people in wittily quipping English-speaking black cats with eternal life.



If this weren't already a traumatizing enough beginning for a children's movie, the three sisters are subsequently arrested under suspicion of practicing witchcraft and hanged for their alleged crimes. There's nothing quite like a good hanging to get a children's movie going. It's that secret ingredient that really gives it that extra kick.*



Before their executions, the Sandersons thought fit to cast a spell that would bring them back to life if an innocent virgin just happened to enter their historic home and light their ominous black-flamed candle. This of course begs the question of if they could imbue that much foresight into their deaths, why couldn't they just witch themselves alive in the first place? Lucky for Disney, kids aren't especially adept at plot investigation, so we all just sort of went with it.

The cat version of Thackery Binx makes it his unending life mission to stop the curse from being fulfilled, but it wouldn't be much of a story if he was just really really good at it. To his credit, he kept it pretty safe for oh, say, 300 years, and we would all get a bit sloppy after working the same gig for that long. Some pesky local modern-day kids come across the house and of course feel compelled to light the black flame candle. Because that's what teenagers do to be rebellious: go around from haunted museum to haunted museum unobtrusively lighting lights.

So we've got our witches back and the unavoidable hi-jinks ensue. They gather up some of their undead friends and make a night of it, as they've only got until sunrise to suck some serious lifeblood. It's Halloween, of course, meaning lifeblood-filled children are frolicking about carefreely through the streets blinded by their love of free candy. I have to say, it's not looking too promising for their sticky-fingered futures.

Somehow our villains end up at a Halloween party, where they're mistaken for well-costumed entertainment. Bette Midler performs her requisite over-the-top musical number ("I'll Put a Spell on You") and entrances the town's partying adults into an endless night of dancing. Really, endless. The witches leave them to die from dance-induced exhaustion. Sounds like a good party.



A few more plot twists and we've got our singing enchantress Sarah summoning the town's innocent and undoubtedly delicious children. Soon the witches have our heroes and their young companions in their grasp and everything seems pretty doomed. Of course, this is Disney, so we get our all-important last minute rah-rah the-kids-win moment, and it's a happy ending after all. Binx turns back into a human, which is super, of course, because he's 300-something years old and I'm sure all he wants is to be a teenager forever, Twilight style. Okay, fine, that didn't happen, instead he sort of creepily passes through to the afterlife to chill with his dead sister. How...sweet.

The movie was panned by critics, who obviously couldn't see it for what it was: a silly, over-the-top, campy film filled with gimmicks and cliches. In other words, a Disney movie. Over the years, however, the movie's developed quite a loyal cult fan base who delight in its ridiculousness and pure camp. It's morphed into a sort of Halloween classic, the type of movie that gets yearly TV play and is somehow designated a classic despite the fact that it didn't perform especially well in theaters. Regardless of its route to becoming a Halloween staple, Hocus Pocus has all the makings of a good children's movie. Well, except for the witchcraft, hangings, and de-lifeblooding. We'll just overlook that.





*By kick I mean nightmares, nightmares, nightmares

22 comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

I watched this Halloween night while handing out candy. This is my favorite Halloween movie :)

Gracie Beth said...

OBSESSED with this movie. So much so that I own the dvd. I also distinctly remember as a child of the 90's asking my parents multiple times what a virgin was when I watched this fild.

Melissa Blake said...

LOVED this movie! I had the biggest crush on the older brother when I was 14! :)

courtney said...

Seriously this movie is a classic.

Megan said...

This is one of my favorite Halloween movies!

Anonymous said...

LOVE Hocus Pocus! I usually love watching it every Halloween but I didn't have time this year. I still love it though!

Marci Darling said...

This is a classic!

ahahahahaha, the virgin comment :)

krissy ♥ said...

I love this movie! Thank you for reminding me of this, I want my own DVD :D

Ice Queen said...

Very appropriate for Halloween. I think I watched this movie several times a day and thought it was so bad that they said the word "hell".

Will said...

Is it just me, or does SJP's face look less like a horse at the time?

Haven't seen the movie in a long time, but there were some moments when you were 10. I do think this is the extent of scary movies I will currently watch.

Emily said...

I always thought the brother's name was Zachary???

Simply Colette said...

I so wanted to watch that this weekend! Didn't look hard enough i guess. I used to watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch all the time. Can we go back to the 90's please? :)

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Love this movie- so hysterical. Watched it a couple weeks ago on ABC Family!

Unknown said...

I love Hocus Pocus. Screw SATC, this is what launched Sarah Jessica Parker.

Simply_Megan said...

Ok, I feel like my world has just turned upside down because I always thought the cat's name was Zachary! My friend even named her dog Zachary Binx after this movie and that's not even his real name! hahaha I can't wait to tell her.

Opanga-Tay said...

Love this movie! Parts of it terrified me (like when SJP hides under the covers) but I always adored this movie.

Add me to the list that thought Thackery's name was actually Zachary. I guess I thought people spoke with a lisp when they said his name.

Shop Girl* said...

YES.

THIS was hallowe'en. I looooove this movie... I long for the days when Hallowe'en wasn't such a skank fest...

LWLH said...

I love that movie....I recorded it on VHS back in the day! :)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Hocus Pocus has got to be one of my favorite all time Halloween movies ever. I used to watch it over and over and never get tired of it.

Laura said...

Halloween just doesn't feel complete without watching Hocus Pocus. I love this movie and definitely overlook all the silly plot contrivances and such. And I giggle to myself when SJP talks about wanting to "play" with the boys ;)

Melanie's Randomness said...

One of my ultimate favs ever. =)

Sadako said...

Great movie. Totally didn't catch the Gypsy shout out first time I saw it.

Also, it featured a young Thora Birch! AND Omri Katz--aka, Marshall from Eerie, Indiana.

Digg This!