Wednesday, February 3, 2010

500 Followers and a Special Ask Children of the 90s Extravaganza


In typical self-congratulatory blog fashion, I've got to hand it to myself. I have achieved my goal at tearing hundreds of unsuspecting 90s children away from their pressing school and office to-dos all in the name of some hearty nostalgia. Yesterday I finally reached a milestone 500 blogger followers with the help of my blog friend Sadako at Dibbly Fresh. Of course, with all of the readership statistics available these days, it's hard to benchmark any progress. I'm not going to let those stats get in the way of celebration of this pure, undiluted 90s victory. Thank you for your understanding, and I humbly (sort of) accept your accolades.

Before I let my head explode from the outpouring of good reader vibes, let me say that you readers are the lifeblood of Children of the 90s. For some unknown, writing experiment-fueled reason, I've been churning out 1000+ words daily on topics near and dear to our childhood selves with zero cash income. That's right, you uphold this free service with your support, comments, and hilarious additions in the comment section. All in all, it's fun because of you all, so thanks for your reading and/or lurking. It's much appreciated.

As a thank you for your loyal devoted readership, I'd like to extend an exciting limited-time offer to you. Well, maybe don't get too excited till you hear what it is. I doubt this has got any sort of bootleg sales black market value. And really, it might not be all that exciting. Damn, that anticipatory build-up can really come back to get you.

Okay, here goes: Here's your chance to ask your loyal 90s chronicler any and all burning questions. If you have anything at all you want to ask, drop it in the comment section. In an ideal world, we'd all celebrate by chugging Surge, bedazzling each other's jean jackets, and playing a zit-sticker frenzied game of GirlTalk! Unfortunately Surge has since been discontinued, my EZ 2DO bedazzler gave out ages ago, and and I'm pretty sure my mom sold my GirlTalk! game at a yard sale. We're going to have to settle for the next best thing, so ask away.

If you don't have any pressing curiosities, feel free to just stop by the comment section and say hi. I have the handy aid of Google Analytics to let me know how many of you read each day, and it's rarely reflected in the comments. The percentage of lurkers here seems to be extraordinarily high. Don't be shy. I'd love to meet you. Heck, I'd even read your blog. Reveal yourself, lurkers. It's time.

And if you're thinking this post is a huge cop-out and a negligent disregard for my otherwise rigorous weekdaily posting standard, you might be right. Before you go on getting too grumbly over the matter, let me assure you that I have not forgotten to provide you with a doctor-recommended dose of 90s child-specific wit. In celebration of my blog buddy Andy's upcoming birthday, I am guest posting over there today. In case you don't already read his blog, he's hilarious--I highly recommend you check it out. Anywho, you can find today's birthday-inspired post over at Wild ARS Chase.


Oh, and by the by, we've been tossing around the idea of making some kick-ass Children of the 90s t-shirts. Let me know if you'd be up for purchasing one of these bad boys. For an as-of-yet undetermined cut-rate price, you too can sport the proud declaration that you are indeed a Child of the 90s. Oh, and your back can serve as a handy advertisement for my blog, meaning when you leave someone you're really just leaving them with the gift of humor-tinged nostalgia. Who wouldn't want that? Really, it sounds just wonderful.

So thanks, fellow Children of the 90s, for your continued readership and support. You guys are da bomb, and I can say that because it makes sense to all of you in a cultural context. I'm browsing for some very exciting 90s-themed giveaway items, too, so stay tuned for that. Y'all are all that and a bag of chips and don't you forget it.

40 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your 500 follower mark!

My question for you...

Do you have any nostalgic collections? I have an extremely large and growing VHS collection. Anytime I see a toy, or anything that I used to have when I was little in a thrift store or yard sale, I grab it up. I'll be moving in 2 months, and when I get my new house I have plans of having a nostalgic office.

Melissa Blake said...

CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting...I've never been one of the lurkers! I subscribe to your blog and read it every day!!

Question: Nsync or BSB? ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 500. I read daily but don't comment as often. And I had totally forgotten about talk boy by the way.. wow what a flashback I so had one of those. No questions at the moment but keep up the great work! :)

courtney said...

Congrats!!!! 500 followers is very impressive!

Here is my question...what made you want to blog about 90s stuff? Did you have a blog before? Basically, how was this fab blog "born"?

Tara said...

Congrats on 501 followers! I just found your blog a few weeks ago and love it. It's so fun thinking about the stuff I used to love but forgot about.

?- Does it ever get hard to think of something 90's to blog about? Do you think a time will come when you'll just run out?

Melanie's Randomness said...

Hey!! Congrats on 500 followers!! I love your blog so much!!

The 90's rule!! =)

Shannon SVH said...

Congratulations! I hope you never run out of awesome nineties-ness to blog about.

lissa said...

congrats on 500 followers, I wish I have some questions to ask but my mind's so blank right now

I want to say, I have only recently discovered your blog and I really enjoy every post that you write especially those on movies and tv shows

Andy - Instafather said...

You are most deserving of 500 followers...

Question: Of all the SNICK shows, which was your favorite and why?

And thanks for guest posting. That sucker is up and ready to read.

Callie said...

I love that you said grumbly, only now all I can think about is Winnie the Pooh saying, "rumbly in my tumbly." I'm a weird dude.

Also, I'm totally your 501 follower, just missed the cut!

Kristen said...

Congrats!

Your blog is my favorite part of my otherwise boring workday mornings. =)

Questions:

JTT or Devon Sawa?

Taylor Hanson or Nick Carter?

The Wonder Years or Boy Meets World?

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Thank you for bringing many laughs to all of us and for reminding us of things that we grew up with and loved, but forgot. I look forward to reading your blog everyday and I promise to do a better job of commenting! And I would love a 90's t-shirt!

Kristie said...

WOW 500 followers, that's fantastic! I'm actually a child of the 80's primarily, but I graduated high school in 1993 so I can still relate to most of the
90's posts you write about, the early 90's for sure. I seriously love your blog, it always makes me smile. Come on over and visit mine!

Julie said...

Congrats on 500 Followers! I always look forward to reading your blog. I should probably purchase a T-shirt, since I already reference this blog way too much in real life as it is. ;) Anyway, again, congrats, and thank you for sharing your fabulous posts with us all!

carissajaded said...

Congrats girl! I sometimes comment, usually lurk, always love!!!

And yes. I would buy a shirt.

Lauren said...

Congrats on 500 followers!!!! :)
I love going back in time with you and going down memory lane!

rsparks said...

I would totally buy a Children of the 90s t-shirt. Totally.

Annemarie said...

Congrats on your 500 followers! Here's to 500 more...!

Question: I have been going crazy over this for a LONG time (like going on 10 years) so hear me out! When I was 8 yrs old- so roughly 93/94- I tried out to be a kid correspondent on FOX Kids. I'm sure you remember the run of shows that they would play in the morning or afternoon block, and in between the shows they would have short segments where kids would report the news. In my auditions I would do screen tests with the main male (adult) host on this show, and for the life of me I cannot remember his name! I know he was popular because when I showed kids at school my pictures with him they all thought it was so cool to meet him! I think his name was Chris something, but all of my Wikipedia and IMDB searches leave me with nothing! I also can't really find anything about the news show itself, so any info you could dig up or know of yourself would be such a help to piecing together this bad memory of mine! Sorry for the longest comment ever!

Ali said...

Ah! You did it! Congrats. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading this every day. In fact, the other day I woke up at 4:30 am and couldn't fall back asleep so I proceeded to catch up on back-posts for the next seven hours. :) My question is if you were stuck on a island and could only have one VHS to watch, which one would it be? Also, I would wear a 90s t-shirt with immense pride!

The One With... said...

Congrats!


My question is, how do you decide on your topic for the day?

Sadako said...

Congrats! Love your blog and thanks for the mention.

My question--cuter Boy Meets World hottie, Eric or Shawn?

LadyJ3000 said...

Congrats on the 500 followers. I enjoy your blog, it's one of my favorites.

The K Family said...

Congrats on making it to the 500 club!

I love following your site because for a brief minute or two, I feel like a kid again.

Ever think about making an "I love the 80's" site as well?

coulrophobic agnostic said...

I don't do the following thing, but I have linked to you on both my blogs :)

http://weirdjesus.blogspot.com/
http://touchedbyaclown.blogspot.com/

Design A-Peele said...

you are too funny. congrats on 504+ followers! what an accomplishment. I know you said over at A Classy, Southern Bride that you loved the flower pin. It is also a hair clip ;) If you are interested let me know. I can get you discounted shipping! Have a wonderful day!

Freck said...

You guys rock. Congrats on all the followers!

Anonymous said...

Congradulations, after having discover this blog about a month ago, I enjoy coming here daily to read your blog.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could do a blog on pogs. And also I would love to read about what you think of BSB,Nsync, and all of those other late 90s pop acts.

Anonymous said...

500 is a lot!!! Congratulations..thats how you know you are doing something right lol..and I would definitely buy that tshirt :-)

Jess said...

I'm so in for the t-shirt idea


When's the 90210 blog?

Cassie MewBuorn said...

I love this blog! 500 is a great amount of readers-and I am one of your daily ones! Its always a way to get me to smile or laugh at my funny and sometimes embarrassing childhood memories.
I'm looking forward to whatever great topics you have coming up and what some of your fellow readers have suggested!

Meg said...

yay congrats on 500! i look forward to the giveaways...

Anonymous said...

I need someone to answer the question, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Everyone just avoids the question
But I NEED AN ANSWER.
It's been bothering me for like 10 years.

Anonymous said...

I love you and your blog! Congrats on 500 followers!

ali said...

Guessing I'm too late for a question... can't think of any anyway. Just thought I'd say, been reading for months, love your blog, and congrats on all the followers!

Unknown said...

thanks for making it to 500. my question for you is

did you like hey arnold on nick as well as all that and consider them to be 90's shows? cause i grew up watching all that and i remember how popular it was way back then(and how amanda bynes,kenan thompson, kel mitchell,josh peck,nick cannon, and josh server got their rising fame.)

i also grew up with hey arnold and it was very popular in the 90's as well.

Unknown said...

I've read a few good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.


Kendra
www.imarksweb.org

Unknown said...

I'm a lurkeṛ. And I wouldn't wear a "Child of the 90s" shirt unless there was no hyperlink address on the back. Kinda cheapens it in a way. Anyhow, I really love your blog. :) Can you do a nice big article about Furbies? They were so huge back then and I still absolutely love theṃ... <3 Thanks :)

Irma Lestari said...

Bagaimana Anda menang bermain game slot paling kuat? http://www.cevrimicikumar.com/ Namun sebelumnya ada http://www.lineakojokoa.org/ sejumlah pertimbangan penting yang harus diperhitungkan sehingga setiap mesin slot anggota dapat http://www.onlinekockanje.com/ mempelajari tips dan trik tentang cara memenangkan permainan mesin slot yang kuat di ponsel Android Anda atau di laptop Anda http://www.interretaretejo.net/. Permainan game judi slot mesin memang sudah populer sekali saat ini karena beberapa alasan antaranya adalah hadiah jackpot yang sangat besar dan menggiurkan membuat game judi slot mesin ini http://www.retavetludado.com/ semakin ramai.

Cleaning Company Dubai UAE said...

Settee cleaning is normally one task it doesn't make it to daily housecleaning checklist should it be about any workplace or possibly home. After awhile the airborne dust and earth settle when making your settee look dusty and grubby. But wood besides learning to be a repulsive sight, the bacteria and infections that develop at first glance can literally harm your present health? Don’t have these undetectable pathogens wreak havoc upon your health! sofa cleaning dubai

Digg This!