Thursday, December 24, 2009

Your Recommended Dose of 90s Christmas: Mystery Science Theater 3000's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Merry Christmas (Eve), Children of the 90s! For those who celebrate Christmas, have a wonderful holiday, and for those who don't hopefully you're enjoying some time off. Tis the season for some time away from our offices, at the very least.

As some of you longtime readers know, I am a huge Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan*. The Christmas-themed episode I leave you with today is one of my all-time favorites. It features the full-length film Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, a Christmas movie that insults all legitimate endeavors in the holiday media genre. Spoiler alert: the film's title gives away the entire sequence of events.

It's a delightfully cringe-worthy piece of cinema. It's infinitely more bearable with the MST3K treatment, though, and the results are pretty hilarious. I leave you with my favorite of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Christmas episodes, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Just don't say I didn't warn you.



*Read: dork

5 comments:

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

Fantastic stuff! Even without the commentary, it's still probably better than Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2, which has to be one of the most excruciating things I've ever sat through!

Melanie's Randomness said...

LOL!! Omg I didn't know they did a Christmasy episode!! Hysterical!!

Merry Christmas girl!! *hugs*

prashant said...

Deadly Night Part 2, which has to be one of the most excruciating things I've ever sat through!
Make website india

BSCAG said...

What do you mean, dork? I like MST3K, too!

I also love classic History channel and have a set of Christmas shows from it. One is the Biography of Santa, which mentions this as "an ill-advised" pairing with Martians. I can't imagine trying to get through it without the Bots. My husband and I watched it Christmas Eve, and last year I watched it with my friends at our annual cookie party.

BSCAG said...

Oh, and how could I forget?

Joel: Have you thought about what you want for Christmas?
Gypsy: I want a pony.
Crow: I want to decide who lives and who dies.

Digg This!