Monday, May 4, 2009

Slip n' Slide

You'd think with a company name like Wham-O, Inc., people would know to take these products seriously. Slip n' Slides may have slid onto the scene in the 60s, but it was not until the 90s that we got to see some good old-fashioned ambulance-chasing legislative action. The 90s showed a distinct rise in the level of safety-consciousness on the part of overanxious parents desperate to helmet and pad their children to the most insulated degree. Contrary to popular 90s parent opinion, children had once lived in a world without safety features and generally lived to tell about it; those who did not were simply sucked up by the forces of social Darwinism. In the 90s, however, the tide began to turn.

Some would say we were fighting nature. We were protecting the weak. Defying the forces of nature that acted to weed out this type of risky irresponsible behavior.

Others would say that perhaps we never should have been sliding down an glorified sheet of cheap plastic lubricated with hose water into rocky backyard terrain in the first place.

Parents succumbed to children's begging for Slip n' Slides largely on a cost-efficient and effort-exertion level. You could either install a pool, pack up every possible necessary belonging and lug it to the faraway beach, drag your kids to the suspiciously grimy public pool...or you could just run the hose over a giant sheet of yellow plastic in the backyard. Which would you choose? The answer seemed pretty clear. Or at least clearer than the public pool.

Slip n' Slide.




I know there's a Wham-O! Hula Hoop ad on the end of this, but I couldn't help myself when I saw it. It's just so 90s.


The name doesn't leave much room for questioning. No, this was a straightforward product, through and through. It didn't seem necessary for it to come with a dictionary-size manual of directions and warnings. What would they possibly say?

Step one:
Remove Slip n' Slide from package and unroll unto level ground.

Step two:
Place running hose at edge of Slip n' Slide.

Step three:
Slip.

Step four:
Slide.

Wasn't that pretty much it? You slipped, you slid, you laughed in the face of the scorching hot sun's attempt to swelter you, and called it a day.
In reality, the problem was probably not so much with the product as with the parents. In a time where everyone was quick to assign blame to anybody but themselves, it was easy to call foul on a faulty product or unsafe design. However, there were many actions taken by lackadaisical parents that were more than likely the underlying culprits of these purported Slip n' Slide injuries. In case you were unaware, I am happy to share with you a few tips for care and use of your Wham-O Slip n' Slide:

1. Do not place in an area generally abounding with rocks and boulders. I don't even know if I'm supposed to share this type of highly classified information, but some scientists report that boulders can be damaging to heads upon forceful contact.

2. Do not place your Slip n' Slide on a steep hill. As much fun as if may be to go barreling headfirst at full speed down a miniature mountain, the plastic sheet has to end at some point. Then you're simply plunging headfirst into the ground, which I've also been told can be a tad on the painful side.

3. Enormous, oversized, supposedly responsible adults should not use a toy intended for children.

4. This especially goes for any time when these adults are intoxicated.

5. FYI, this includes fraternity parties.

6. And really, any kind of party.

7. Because honestly, this product is recommended for ages 5-12.

8. And while we're on the subject, why the hell are you using this as an adult?

9. Again, I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this.

10. But just to reiterate, really, a terrible idea.


In the 90s, the major lawsuit-prompted injury warnings were not based on injuries sustained by unsuspecting children. The injuries were generally caused by grown-ups attempting to join in on the fun, especially while highly intoxicated, and smashing their spinal column in a paralyzing manner. Teenagers and adults would slip and slide as the directions indicated, but failed to take into account that they were approximately two to three times the size of the recommended users. When coupled with the mere inertia garnered from their notably heavier weights, this was certainly a cause for concern.

What should have been concern for the right-mindedness of these adults was morphed into concern over a lack of safety features. Because really, a product should probably include every possible cause of injury or death in its packaging. I'm not sure your level of marketing expertise, but it's fairly safe to say that a 3000-word brochure on potential causes of death isn't always a major selling point for your product.

Just in case you were curious (which no doubt you were!) here's a handy excerpt from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission's report on the matter:

WASHINGTON, DC -- Kransco Group Companies and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warn consumers that WHAM-O backyard water slides, manufactured by Kransco and WHAM-O for years as popular summertime toys for children, should NOT be used by adults or teenagers. The toys were designed for use by children only. Use by adults and teens has the potential to result in neck injury and paralysis.

Alright, seems pretty straightforward. Go on, CPSC.

Because of their weight and height, adults and teenagers who dive onto the water slide may hit and abruptly stop in such a way that could cause permanent spinal cord injury, resulting in quadriplegia or paraplegia. The slider's forward momentum drives the body into the neck and compresses the spinal cord.

Ouch. But again, makes sense.

Kransco reports that seven adults who used WHAM-O slides suffered neck injuries, quadriplegia, or paraplegia. A 13-year- old teenager suffered a fractured neck while using a WHAM-O slide. The incidents occurred between 1973 and 1991.

Considering this report was released in the early 90s, that's a pretty troubling grace period before taking a clear stand on this. Oh, you know, it's been happening for 18 years, but we wanted to make sure this lifetime paralysis was the real deal.

According to Kransco, 9 million WHAM-O water slides called Slip 'N Slide, Super Slip 'N Slide, Slip 'N Splash, White Water Rapids, Fast Track Racers, and Wet Banana were sold nationwide from 1961 to February 1992. The slides are long plastic sheets with stakes to secure the sheet to a flat lawn free of rocks, mounds, and depressions. Some slides included an inflatable raft to slide on the plastic sheet; others may have an inflatable pool at the end of the slide.

Oh no, not Wet Banana!

CPSC and Kransco urge adults and teenagers NOT to use the WHAM-O backyard slides. Consumers should read the warnings and instructions on the box and on the toy itself which state that the product is NOT intended for adult use. Adults should instruct children how to use the slides safely.

So there you have it. Slip n' Slide. Sure, it may be risky, but again, who wants to schlep all the way out to the beach when you can lay out a bright yellow roll of cheap, non-durable plastic?

Case closed.

28 comments:

WarriorHeartGypsySoul said...

Oh I loved Slip & Slide!!! My dad wouldn't buy us one though, he just grabbed a long piece of plastic from work and we made our own.

I think I still have scars sliding off the end!

for the love of pictures said...

I wanted one of these so much, but it never happened :(

Does anyone else remember how kids kept getting hurt on them because people kept forgetting to clear away rocks and stuff like that from the path before setting it up?

Kristina said...

Sad to say, slip n slide reminds me of my old Purdue days more than when I was a kid. Yeah, definitely a fixture at frat parties on warm days

Katie said...

I love love loved my slip and slide.. Now that exams are over, I think I may have to purchase one for my backyard!

Mr. Condescending said...

I friggin love your blog! I had one of these too, I think mine had an alligator or something at the end that you went through.

golublog said...

I wanted a slip and slide so bad when i was little. But we had no yard and such things did not work well on cold cement city streets.

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

I loved slip 'n slide! The best was when you had access to a hill and you could set it up so that you hit it at the top and slid down - you'd build up plenty of speed and end up in the grass :-)

Optimistic Pessimist said...

Who knew they were so controversial?!!

I have a slip 'n slide! Last year for my b-day we busted out the slip 'n slide, drank beer and ate steak. It was truly a perfect day!

Anonymous said...

Just had to say I LOVE this blog! Seriously, I look forward to your next installment.

We never had a S&S because we live in the city, and it was a big no-no on cement pavements. I always wanted one, though. That, and a Power Wheel.

Sadako said...

I never had one because we didn't have a backyard. Ouch. I never realized they were so risky.

nikki said...

I was the lucky owner of a slip and slide AND a house with a nice backyard hill. We were so friggin popular.

penny lane said...

i miss the 90s. toys were so simple. a giant piece of plastic and a hose was a sick amount of fun!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure my first time on a Slip and Slide was in college...at a party...glad I paid attention to those warnings!

shansPLC said...

oh slip and slide!! that was my absolute favorite...ah, how i miss being a kid of the nineties. great post!

RenaissanceTrophyWife said...

Ditto @Amanda-- didn't use one as a child, but they were pretty fun in college.

The sheer volume of common sense masquerading as cautionary warnings sometimes astounds me. For example, wash your hands to avoid getting the swine flu. Really? did we need a public health announcement for that? Guess we did.

Love the blog!

Ashley said...

I LOVED my slip and slide... Even better was the home made slip and slide (giant blue tarp) at church camp (hello wet t-shirts) that was wetted with a fire hose and started at the top of a hill that ended in a huge mud wrestle. Ah, those were the days...

rachaelgking said...

I have a scar from a Slip 'n Slide, no lie.

And I STILL kind of want to have a S&S party this summer after reading this...

Stacie said...

Soooooo Dangerous!!!

Wasn't it great while it lasted, though?

Andy - Instafather said...

You'll want to check my blog today.

Mandy said...

who the hell was saying that perhaps we never should have been sliding down an glorified sheet of cheap plastic lubricated with hose water into rocky backyard terrain in the first place.

whoever said that is a moron and should be de-americanized. slip n slides are amazing, especially when the fat kid comes to play.

courtney said...

Oh Slip n Slide...we had one with this crocadile mouth at the end that went into a little pool.

I don't know how I hurled my body across the hard ground like that...the thought of it now gives me pain.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I loved the Slip n Slide. I just hated when we part of the slide was placed over rocks.

Anonymous said...

My dad just put a tarp on the hill behind our house. Directly at the bottom of the hill was a chainlink fence. My dad told us not to hit it. He told me that a lot.

Fraulein N said...

I hated this thing, but only because no one every managed to clear all the rocks out of the way before putting the plastic down.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting comments surrounding this toy & the memories made with it. Most of my memories too, were of summer fun also. Then one time, before any warnings of adult use, i went to visit some foster parents one summer day when i was about 24 y.o. or so. They had children of their by this time & i decided to join them in their Slip 'n Slide fun as my foster dad videotaped us at play. My turn came and i run to the slide, dived, and hit onto my right shoulder area first, although arms were extended in front. I arose from the slide clutching my arm but hamming it up a bit for the videos sake by playing off that it didnt hurt much. As days went on & the pain increased, i finally got seen for a dislocated shoulder which i later had continually pop out of socket until i had surgery to repair it. The surgery was less than an hour, but the recovery from that was more like 3-6 months of painful therapy & exercises.
I later heard about a class action suit against Wham-O for dangers of use by adults or whatever the claim was, and was told i could be a fore-runner in the suit( especially since my incident was recorded on video). I told myself it would hard to live with myself making buckets of money off a toy when it seems ridiculous to sue Schwinn over scabbing your knee falling off your bike, so i didnt persue it. The bills from that surgery and subsequent recovery aifded in a spiral toward bad credit and limited use of my arm's ability. I just look back at this point & wonder if i made the right move by backing out. Sometimes i wonder if the statute of limitations prevents any compensation for this at this point, even minor compensation. I welcome any views on this i can get. Thanks,...Nick
nixdafixinwa@yahoo.com

Hannah said...

I had a Crocodile Mile. ENVY ME.

Schubert said...

Parents succumbed to children's begging for Slip n' Slides largely on a cost-efficient and effort-exertion level. You could either install a pool, ... slides4kids.blogspot.com

sowheau said...

replica bags cheap click for more n0p09x3g15 replica bags delhi see page t0m43u9p77 7a replica bags wholesale replica bags louis vuitton replica bags hong kong see this website z3f40k1v73 replica bags china free shipping

Digg This!